Generally speaking, if you come across a message saying “this game is not ready to be played in Offline Mode” on Steam, it’s possible that your games can only be played when Internet connection is available. For good measure, you may want to determine whether your games support Offline Mode. Besides that, it’s wise to consider updating games as well as Steam client, uninstalling and reinstalling games, etc. Read to the end to learn what must be done and enjoy Steam to the fullest.
For your information, not all games on Steam support Offline Mode. If you play unsupported games in Offline Mode regardless, you will receive the “this game is not ready to be played in Offline Mode” message. In addition, if an update is available, games won’t launch until you download and install the update. Last but not least, if something messes up the games themselves, games not launching in Offline Mode is one of the consequences.
Solution 1: Think About Mode Support
Search for the names of your games on the Internet then see if they support Offline Mode. If your games support Offline Mode, feel free to move on to the next solutions. On the other hand, if your games don’t support Offline Mode, you have no choice but to secure Internet access to be able to play them.
Solution 2: Update Games And Steam Client
- Step 1: Make sure that you have a stable Internet connection then open Steam.
- Step 2: If an update for Steam client is available, allow Steam to download and install it. It’s worth pointing out that you could manually update Steam client via Steam > Check for Steam Client Updates.
- Step 3: Go to Library, launch your games and see how things turn out. If the game needs to be updated, allow the process to go all the way.
- Step 4: Click on the Steam menu on the top left side of the window
- Step 5: Enable Offline Mode, launch your games and determine whether the issue persists.
Solution 3: Uninstall And Reinstall Games
- Step 1: Open Steam, log into your account and go to Library.
- Step 2: Right-click your games, hover your mouse over Manage and click Uninstall. Hit Uninstall one more time to confirm action.
- Step 3: Close Steam then restart your computer.
- Step 4: When the screen comes back on, launch Steam, search for your games and reinstall them.
- Step 5: Launch games in Offline Mode
Frequently Asked Questions
When Should I Use Offline Mode?
Offline Mode is useful if Internet connection is either unstable or unavailable. While Offline Mode disables some of the game features, it still allows you to play games.
Does Steam Save Games Offline?
If you enable Offline Mode, game progress should be saved in My Documents folder. Your achievements and awards would be synced the next time your PC connects to the Internet.
Is It Possible To Play Xbox Games In Offline Mode?
- Step 1: Press the Xbox button then hit Profile & system.
- Step 2: Go to Settings, select General and choose Network settings.
- Step 3: Hit Go offline.
Tips And Tricks
- Always run Steam as administrator.
- Games that use third-party launchers will not work in Offline Mode so don’t bother.
- Since Family Sharing requires Internet connection, you should refrain from using it alongside Offline Mode.