Table of Contents
If Starbound will not launch on your computer, it’s highly likely that your GPU driver is outdated and driver update is the best solution. Also, you could check for Windows updates, turn off antivirus software and firewalls, perform a clean boot, run Starbound as administrator, get rid of mods, … You have a hard time carrying out the solutions on your own and could use some help? In that case, this article is for you.
Starbound Not Launching: Why
For your information, quite a few factors affect the performance of Starbound and the GPU driver is one of them. If you keep the driver up-to-date, you should be able to enjoy Starbound to the fullest. On the other hand, if you neglect driver updates, there is a good chance that Starbound will not launch. On the bright side, if the driver is the root of the problem, you don’t have to do much.
As you update Windows, you also update components that play a key role in gaming such as DirectX, Visual C++ and so on. Unable to recall the last time you updated Windows? Then it’s possible that your version of Windows is obsolete and the same applies to gaming components. Unless you take action, Starbound cannot launch.
Antivirus Software And Firewalls
Overall, the purpose of antivirus software and firewalls is to keep computers out of harm’s way but it’s not uncommon for them to overreact. Overacting antivirus software and firewalls sometimes complicate computer processes and the launching of games is not an exception.
In layman’s terms, the more apps you have on your PC, the higher the odds of app conflict. Conflicting apps lead to all sorts of hassles and you need to deal with them at the latest opportunity.
The lack of permission could stop games like Starbound from launching on occasions. Fortunately, granting permission to Starbound is a straightforward affair for most of the time.
Generally speaking, mods help Starbound players customize their experience but they may create trouble at times. Thus, in the case that Starbound will not launch, you should add mods to your list of suspects.
How To Get Starbound To Launch
- Step 1: Press Windows key, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter to open Device Manager.
- Step 2: Expand Display adapters, right-click your GPU and pick Update driver.
- Step 3: Follow onscreen instructions.
- Step 4: The moment the process completes, restart your computer.
- Step 5: When the screen comes back on, launch Starbound and see how things turn out.
Check For Windows Updates
- Step 1: Press Windows + I to open Settings, select Update & Security then choose Check for updates in Windows Update.
- Step 2: If an update is available, allow Windows to download and install it.
- Step 3: Restart your computer as soon as the process wraps up then launch Starbound.
Turn Off Antivirus Software And Firewalls
- Step 1: Open Settings, select Update & Security and choose Virus & threat protection in Windows Security.
- Step 2: Hit Manage Settings under Virus & threat protection settings then toggle the Real-time protection switch Off.
- Step 3: Press Windows key, type Control Panel and press Enter.
- Step 4: Change View by to Category then hit System and Security.
- Step 5: Click Windows Defender Firewall, look to the left and pick Turn Windows Firewall on or off. Afterward, proceed to check the Turn off Windows Firewall (not recommended) checkbox in Private network settings as well as Public network settings. Lastly, hit OK, launch Starbound and determine whether the issue persists.
Perform A Clean Boot
- Step 1: Press Windows key, type msconfig and press Enter to open System Configuration.
- Step 2: Go to Services tab, check the checkbox next to Hide all Microsoft services then hit Disable all.
- Step 3: Go to the Startup tab, hit Open Task Manager and disable everything you see.
- Step 4: Close Task Manager then select Apply and choose OK in System Configuration.
- Step 5: Restart your computer.
If Starbound launches as expected following clean boot, app conflict is what prevents the game from launching. That means you should uninstall recently installed apps. Finally, you may go through the following steps to change back to normal startup.
- Step 1: Open System Configuration.
- Step 2: Tick the circle beside Normal Startup, select Apply and choose OK.
- Step 3: Restart your computer once prompted.
Run Starbound As Administrator
- Step 1: Locate Starbound shortcut, right-click it and pick Properties.
- Step 2: Go to Compatibility tab then check the checkbox next to Run this program as an administrator.
- Step 3: Select Apply, choose OK and launch Starbound.
Get Rid Of Mods
Disable all of your Starbound mods, launch the game and witness the result. If the game launches smoothly, re-enable mods one-by-one, locate the troublemaker and remove it for good.
Verify Integrity of Game Files
- Step 1: Open Steam, log into your account and go to Library.
- Step 2: Locate Starbound, right-click it and pick Properties.
- Step 3: Select Local Files tab then choose Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- Step 4: Following the conclusion of the verification, launch the game.
Chris started playing PC games in the 1980s, started writing about them in the early 2000s, and (finally) started getting paid to write about them in the late 2000s.
Following a few years as a regular freelancer, PC Gamer hired him in 2014, probably so he’d stop emailing them asking for more work. Since 2019, he started providing game reviews & tips for Grateful Dead Game. Chris has a love-hate relationship with survival games and an unhealthy fascination with the inner lives of NPCs. He’s also a fan of offbeat simulation games, mods, and ignoring storylines in RPGs so he can make up his own.