Space Engineers is a space-themed sandbox game that involves building spaceships, exploring planets, gathering resources, and so on. While it’s a solid game by all accounts, Space Engineers is somewhat demanding for computers. Needless to say, it’s not uncommon for PC gamers to experience errors as they play Space Engineers. Check out this article if you don’t know what must be done once it comes to Space Engineers graphics card not supported.
The Usual Suspects
Dual Graphics Card
Today, many medium and high-end PCs have more than one graphics card. For example, your PC might have both Intel and NVIDIA graphics cards. Your device packs dual graphics card and Space Engineers says that your graphics card is unsupported? Then there is a chance that your PC is running the game using the “weaker” one of the graphics cards (usually the Intel one).
Inadequate Graphics Card
Like other games, Space Engineers has minimum requirements and the graphics card is one of them. If your PC graphics card does not meet the minimum requirements, it’s only natural that the game won’t run.
Another reason you may be experiencing issues is if you have too many background processes running on your PC while trying to play Space Engineers.
To play games on Steam client, game stores, and alike, you need to have software like DirectX, NETFramework, etc. If you don’t have such software, you would come across errors while playing games.
Space Engineers Graphics Card Not Supported: Solutions
Change Active Graphics Card
If your PC uses a dual graphics card, switch the active graphics card to the high-spec one. To do so, go through the steps down below:
- Step 1: Right-click any space on your desktop and select the NVIDIA control panel option from the list.
- Step 2: Navigate to 3D settings and select Manage 3D settings.
- Step 3: Click Program settings and select the Space Engineers game.
- Step 4: Select the graphics processor you want to use to run the Space Engineers game.
- Step 5: Save changes.
Update Windows And Graphics Card Drivers
- Step 1: Click on the Windows tile and select Settings.
- Step 2: Navigate to Update & Security. Select it and then click Windows Update.
- Step 3: Select Check for updates.
Graphics Card Drivers
- Step 1: Go to Search bar, type dxdiag and hit Enter.
- Step 2: You may get a message prompt. If you do, click Yes (ensure you’re connected to the internet as the tool will attempt to conduct an online search to verify your system’s graphics card specifications.
- Step 3: Click Display and check the “Name” section. You will find the name of the graphics card currently installed on your PC.
- Step 4: Go to Windows Search, type in Device Manager and open it when it shows on the search results list.
- Step 5: Navigate to Display Adapters, right-click your graphics card from the list of options provided and pick Update driver.
- Step 6: Select Search automatically for updated driver software. Click Finish or close the window once it’s done updating.
If you’re still getting the error message after updating your graphics card drivers, you may have to delete it from your PC and then reinstall it.
Change Graphics Card
One thing that could happen, especially if you’re using a relatively “old” PC, is that you own a graphics card that doesn’t meet minimum specifications. Thus, the card cannot meet the requirements of modern games and you have no choice but to get a new GPU. (birdshillpharmacy.com)
It is recommended that you don’t try to do this yourself and get help from a computer tech expert. They’ll help you determine whether the graphics card you want to switch to is compatible with your PC’s motherboard.
Note: You can check the Space Engineers game details in your Steam Library for suggestions on which GPUs to consider.
- Step 1: Go to My Computer and select your system’s hard drive.
- Step 2: Navigate to Program Files (x86) and select the Steam Folder.
- Step 3: Look for ClientRegistry.blob and delete it.
- Step 4: Launch Steam again and open your Space Engineers game from Steam Library.
Verify Integrity Of Game Files (Steam)
It’s also possible you’re experiencing this problem because you have missing or corrupted game files on your PC. Hence, it won’t hurt to verify integrity of game files.
- Step 1: Launch Steam Client and go to Steam Library.
- Step 2: Navigate to Space Engineers and right-click it.
- Step 3: Select Properties from the options provided and then select Local Files.
- Step 4: Click on Verify Integrity of game files
If your PC does not have NETFramework but you still play Space Engineers on it, Space Engineers graphics card not supported is one of the consequences. Similarly, if your version of NETFramework is outdated, you would have a hard time playing Space Engineers. To install NETFramework, follow the Microsoft Framework Guide. Ensure that your PC is compatible with whatever NETFramework you want to install.
Uninstall And Reinstall Space Engineers
This approach to fixing the “Space Engineers graphics card not supported” error should be employed only as a last resort. You will have to delete all Space Engineers files from your system and then reinstall it from scratch. (Xanax)
Chris started playing PC games in the 1980s, started writing about them in the early 2000s, and (finally) started getting paid to write about them in the late 2000s.
Following a few years as a regular freelancer, PC Gamer hired him in 2014, probably so he’d stop emailing them asking for more work. Since 2019, he started providing game reviews & tips for Grateful Dead Game. Chris has a love-hate relationship with survival games and an unhealthy fascination with the inner lives of NPCs. He’s also a fan of offbeat simulation games, mods, and ignoring storylines in RPGs so he can make up his own.