Table of Contents
Despite the positive reception, Mass Effect 2 surfers from a lot of issues and Mass Effect 2 can’t import character PC is a prime example. Usually, the best solution is to use the config utility of Mass Effect 2. If the issue persists, you could manually copy the save files. Read to the end to be able to import character and get the most out of Mass Effect 2.
A Few Fixes
Make Use Of The Config Utility
- Step 1: Open Steam, log into your account and go to Library.
- Step 2: Locate Mass Effect 2, select it and choose Play.
- Step 3: Tick the Mass Effect 2 Launcher circle then hit Play.
- Step 4: Click Configure, pick Save Games and hit Copy Mass Effect 1 Save Games.
- Step 5: Navigate to the directory My Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect, choose the Save folder and select OK. Next, launch Mass Effect 2, pick New Game and click Import ME1 Character.
Copy The Save Files Manually
- Step 1: Navigate to the directory My Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect\Save then proceed to copy all files that start with CHAR_
- Step 2: Navigate to the directory My Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2\Save, create a new folder called ME1 and paste all the CHAR_ files there.
- Step 3: Launch Mass Effect 2, choose New Game and select Choose Import ME1 Character.
Mass Effect 2: Questions And Answers
Can I import unfinished game saves from Mass Effect 1 to 2?
Mass Effect 2 only accepts finished game saves. That means it’s impossible to import finished game saves.
Do I have to manually import save games while playing the Legendary Edition?
The Legendary Edition does everything automatically for you. Thus, all you have to do is to select New game and choose Import ME1 Character.
Should I play Mass Effect titles in an order?
For optimal experience, you should play Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3. By doing so, you should be able to understand the story of the Mass Effect series from start to finish. Furthermore, choices matter in Mass Effect games so your perception of the game will be affected severely if you do not play the titles in the correct order.
Is it possible to continue playing Mass Effect 2 after its ending?
The game allows players to come back and wrap up all uncompleted side missions that lack time limits.
What happens if I play Mass Effect 2 without touching Mass Effect 1 beforehand?
There is a good chance you would have a hard time grasping the storyline since Mass Effect 2 is closely connected to Mass Effect 1. That being said, if you don’t care too much about the story and only think of gameplay, it will not be a big deal.
How do Mass Effect 1’s save games affect Mass Effect 2?
If you use the saves of Mass Effect 1 when you start a playthrough in Mass Effect 2, all the background traits, choices, deaths and consequences of the previous game will be carried over.
What are the differences between Mass Effect 2 and its prequel?
In Mass Effect 2, combat elements have been overhauled as new biotic powers were added to fit diversified playstyles. Moreover, when you play minigames, you can no longer use out-of-combat skills.
Is there a way to level up quickly in Mass Effect 2?
There are many ways to earn EXP and level up fast in Mass Effect 2, for example, you should not miss any side quests, crates, doors and Code information. Besides, talking to every character and mining all the possible chores will also give you a lot of EXP.
Which heavy weapon is the best in Mass Effect 2?
Different players have different opinions but most go for Collector Particle Beam. The gun possesses high accuracy, large ammo capacity and long range which allow it to display a wide range of enemies. Moreover, the Collector Particle Beam does not deal damage to allies so you could keep shooting as your squad moves around.
How long will it take to complete Mass Effect 2?
You need around 24 hours to complete all the main quests in Mass Effect 2. If you like to see everything in the game, prepare to spend up to 50 hours
Which class should I play if I like to get up close and personal?
Your best class in Mass Effect 2 is going to Vanguard. As a Vanguard, you could teleport and land devastating blows on unsuspecting enemies.
Which one is superior, Mass Effect 2 or 3?
In terms of mechanics, Mass Effect 3 comes out on top as BioWare always incorporates reviews and upgrades gameplay. Still, Mass Effect 2 is the winner once it comes to the gaming experience.
- Avoid choosing Neutral options all the time in the Dialogue Wheels.
- Look for Thermal Clips on the battlefield after you finish off the enemies.
- Take advantage of the Weapon Wheel/Power Wheel to freeze time.
- Survey every planet.
- Buy upgrades whenever you have an opportunity.
Chris started playing PC games in the 1980s, started writing about them in the early 2000s, and (finally) started getting paid to write about them in the late 2000s.
Following a few years as a regular freelancer, PC Gamer hired him in 2014, probably so he’d stop emailing them asking for more work. Since 2019, he started providing game reviews & tips for Grateful Dead Game. Chris has a love-hate relationship with survival games and an unhealthy fascination with the inner lives of NPCs. He’s also a fan of offbeat simulation games, mods, and ignoring storylines in RPGs so he can make up his own.