While there is no doubt that Fallout: New Vegas remains a solid game despite its age, the original graphics is not exactly eye-catching nowadays. Naturally, many people resort to mods to overhaul in-game graphics and Enhanced Natural Beauty (ENB) is a prime example. However, it’s worth pointing out that the use of ENB is not always smooth sailing. Check out this article if you notice Fallout: New Vegas ENB not working and have no idea what’s going on.
A List Of Suspects
For your information, ENB is different from other mods which means its installation is unique. If you fail to install ENB correctly, it won’t perform to its full potential.
Another cause that could lead to Fallout: New Vegas ENB not working is Steam overlay. Usually, the overlay proves handy as you play games but it may mess up certain processes as well. Therefore, if you have a hard time getting ENB to work in Fallout: New Vegas, take overlay into account.
What Must Be Done
Give Installation Some Thought
- Step 1: Open your browser and go to http://enbdev.com/mod_falloutnv_v0451.htm
- Step 2: Scroll down till you see the ENB binaries versions available and then download the latest one.
- Step 3: Go to This PC and select the Downloads folder. Navigate to the ENBseries file you recently downloaded and extract it using tools like WinRAR or WinZip.
- Step 4: Open the WrapperVersion folder then select and copy only the d3d11.dll, enbhost.exe, and enblocal.ini files.
- Step 5: Launch Steam and log in to your account.
- Step 6: Go to Library, navigate to your Fallout New Vegas game and right-click it. Select Local Files and click Browse Local Files.
- Step 7: Paste the files you copied from the WrapperVersion Folder in this Fallout New Vegas directory folder you opened via Steam. If you have a prompt telling you there are files with the same names, select the Replace the files in the destination option.
- Step 8: Go back to your browser and go to https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/55076
- Step 9: Download the Fallout: New Vegas ENB.
- Step 10: Once the download is complete, go to This PC and select the Downloads folder.
- Step 11: Navigate to the mod you downloaded and extract it using Winrar or WinZip tools.
- Step 12: Select all the extracted files, copy them and paste them into the Fallout New Vegas directory you opened previously (via Steam).
Disable Steam Overlay
- Step 1: Launch Steam and log in to your account.
- Step 2: Click Library and navigate to Fallout: New Vegas.
- Step 3: Right-click it and select Properties.
- Step 4: Select the General tab and uncheck the Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game.
Fallout: New Vegas ENB Recommendations
This ENB excellently upgrades the graphic quality of the Commonwealth wasteland. It makes the trees and other vegetation look more realistic than their original cartoon-like appearance. Additionally, this ENB makes it such that the weather (such as rain and wind) will interact with vegetation and other aspects of the environment.
Shadow of the Commonwealth
Shadow of the Commonwealth is ideal if you prefer gloomy and darker looks. As its name suggests, this mod focuses on shadowy areas with a lighting passing through foliage effect.
If your PC’s requirements prevent you from installing other “heavier” Fallout: New Vegas ENBs, this Vanilla ENB is the perfect option. You could to use this mod to adjust your graphics quality without having it affect your gameplay and system performance.
Why Can’t I Recruit Veronica?
In Fallout New Vegas, you can only have 2 companions at a time; one human companion and a non-human companion. Thus, you’ll have to dismiss your human companion before trying to recruit Veronica. Trying to recruit her while you have a human companion won’t work and you may not see the “recruit” option again due to in-game bugs. If you already spoke to her, you’ll have to go back to a previous save where you had yet talked to her.
Should I Play Fallout New Vegas With Or Without Mods?
That totally depends on how you like your game to be plus the kind of mods you intend to use. Mods allow you to enjoy better graphics quality as well as some other game performance enhancements. However, New Vegas does tend to glitch or crash more often with mods installed so you’ll have to decide for yourself if the trade-off is worth it.
Tips And Tricks
Save, Save And Save
Fallout New Vegas has a large open world with lots of quests and areas to explore. That means you may get sidetracked or feel tempted to check out a newly discovered location when under-leveled. As a result, it’s wise to create several saves so if things go south, you’ll be able to go back.
Stimpacks are used for healing and you should avoid using them at whim because you never know when you might need them. Outside of combat, instead of using Stimpacks to heal, you can rest, drink water and so on.
Take Time To Explore
While New Vegas has a fast travel mode that you can use to jump between locations, doing this too frequently means you won’t be able to discover other locations. Some of these undiscovered locations contain some pretty exciting finds you won’t want to miss out on. Plus, exploring allows you to quickly fill in the blank areas on your world map, allowing you fast travel to more places.
You will move slower if you have your weapons out instead of holstered. To get around quickly at the beginning of the game, you should holster weapons if there is no threat in the vicinity.
Chris started playing PC games in the 1980s, started writing about them in the early 2000s, and (finally) started getting paid to write about them in the late 2000s. Following a few years as a regular freelancer, PC Gamer hired him in 2014, probably so he’d stop emailing them asking for more work. Chris has a love-hate relationship with survival games and an unhealthy fascination with the inner lives of NPCs. He’s also a fan of offbeat simulation games, mods, and ignoring storylines in RPGs so he can make up his own. Connect with him on Twitter.