In Fallout 4, Taking Independence is one of the main quests in the quest line of the Minutemen questline. In most of the cases, it won’t take long for players to start Taking Independence as it’s available early into the game. Still, like many other quests in the game, Taking Independence is known for having a couple of issues here and there. Check out this article if you notice Taking Independence not starting as you go down the quest line of the Minutemen.
The Usual Suspects
For your information, to start certain quests in Fallout 4, you must meet their conditions. As long as the requirements remain unfulfilled, there is no way for you to start quests. Thus, regarding Taking Independence not starting, you must take quest requirements into account.
While game mods can help you customize your gaming experience, it’s worth pointing out that some mods may mess up the game. Cannot start Taking Independence even though you should be able to? Then you need to give game mods some thought.
While Fallout 4 is a solid title, there is no doubt that its stability is less than ideal. The gameplay of the base game suffers from quite a few script errors which sometimes break quest activation. Because of that, to be thorough, you may want to think about script errors when you have a hard time starting quests.
Fallout 4 Taking Independence Not Starting: Fixes
Fulfill Quest Requirements
In the beginning, determine whether you have taken the Starlight Drive-In then ensure that you have around 40 settlers in all your settlements. Also, you must be allied with at least four settlements. If you manage to match all conditions, you could start Taking Independence quest.
Note: you cannot just take a random settlement and add it to your tally for the Taking Independence quest. If you fail to see “report to Preston” after taking a settlement, it likely won’t count for you. Thus, it’s wise to get the settlement quests from Preston directly.
Remove Game Mods
Examine the mods you’re using to ensure they are okay. Fallout 4 mods like “We Are The Minutemen”, “Enough About the Settlements Already Preston”, and others have been reported to cause problems.
- Step 1: Open your browser and go to Taking Independence Quest Fix at Fallout 4 Nexus – Mods and community (nexusmods.com).
- Step 2: Click on Files and select either MOD Manager Download or Manual Download.
- Step 3: Once the download is complete, select My Computer, go to Downloads and install the mod.
- Step 4: Launch Fallout 4 and disable s“We Are The Minutemen”, “Enough About the Settlements Already Preston”, etc.
- Step 5: The Taking Independence quests should start now. However, if it’s still not starting, open console and run the command Startquest 3a457
- Step 6: Type in Setstage 3a45720.
- Step 7: Now go back and speak to Preston again. The Taking Independence quest should start now.
One reason you might be experiencing the Fallout 4 Taking Independence not starting problem is if there are problems with the game quest progression and scripts. To take care of this, reset the quest using the “resetquest” console command. If this doesn’t work, you can also try out other basic console commands that may help you fix this problem. You’ll find a list of console commands here.
Tips And Tricks
- Whenever you want to adjust something in Fallout 4 via the in-game console or install mods, always create backup saves. It’s impossible to predict how the change will affect your game as time passes. Hence, if you have at least one backup save, you could reverse all the changes you’ve made if things turn south.
- Always ensure you complete Fallout 4 quests in order because there is a link between a lot of quests (prerequisites). One way to ensure you don’t skip quests by mistake is to play using walkthroughs.
- Avoid abusing the console to force quests to complete. Forcing a quest to complete without making the choices you actually need to complete it may end up breaking other processes down the line.
- You should decide whether you want to use mods in-game as well as the mods to use early. If you prefer gaming with mods installed, proceed to research for mods and their characteristics. Some mods can break your game outright while others would create problems if you remove them in the middle of a playthrough.
- Your response time to danger is vital to surviving the harsh world of Fallout 4. That is why you need to customize your quick inventory menu. By doing so, you don’t have to waste time searching your inventory to locate the particular item you need, especially during combat.
- In Fallout 4, your companion’s starting weapon has limitless ammo. Thus, you should remember not to discard or sell the weapons as they will come in handy when you don’t have enough ammo for other weapons.
- If you love playing Fallout 4 with mods, you would come to like the “coc qasmoke” command. That command permits you to access a hidden developer room where you’ll find all sorts of power armors, weapons, and other items. Again, ensure to create a save before using the code.
- Fallout 4 features a series of “companions”. Each of the companions possesses unique strengths so it won’t hurt to send them on missions after learning about their skillset. You should also take time to increase your affinity with them as that is going to unlock unique quests.
Chris started playing PC games in the 1980s, started writing about them in the early 2000s, and (finally) started getting paid to write about them in the late 2000s. Following a few years as a regular freelancer, PC Gamer hired him in 2014, probably so he’d stop emailing them asking for more work. Chris has a love-hate relationship with survival games and an unhealthy fascination with the inner lives of NPCs. He’s also a fan of offbeat simulation games, mods, and ignoring storylines in RPGs so he can make up his own. Connect with him on Twitter.