Fallout 4 is a post-apocalyptic open-world action game where players can meet all sorts of characters, pick up quests to advance the storyline, etc. Currently, Fallout 4 is available on quite a few platforms and PC is not an exception. Interestingly, for those that play Fallout 4 on computers, they may use the Pip-Boy application to turn their mobile device into a Pip-Boy for immersion. Still, the process is not always smooth sailing and reports about Fallout 4 Pip-Boy app not connecting PC pop from time to time.
What Might Have Gone Wrong
- Settings: The Pip-Boy app cannot connect to the PC and Fallout 4 on its own. To establish connection, you have to tweak the settings of the game as well as the app.
- Network: For Fallout 4 Pip-Boy app to connect to Fallout 4 on PC, all must be on the same network. Also, both the app and the computer have to connect to the network using the same means. If one uses wired connection while the other uses wireless, there is no way to establish connection.
- Firewall/antivirus programs: There’s a chance that your PC’s firewall or antivirus program is getting in the way of connection. While they keep computers out of harm’s way, firewall or antivirus programs could overreact which results in connection issues.
How To Fix Fallout 4 Pip-Boy App Not Connecting PC
Change The Settings Of Fallout 4 And Pip-Boy App
- Step 1: Launch the Fallout 4 game on your PC, navigate to Settings and pick Gameplay
- Step 2: Look for Pip-Boy App Enabled and toggle it to “On”.
- Step 4: Download the Pip-boy app to your mobile device
- Step 5: Navigate to Options, select Connection Setup and click PC
- Step 6: Enter your PC’s IP address into the space provided. If you don’t know your PC’s IP address, simply follow the steps below.
- Go to Windows search and search for CMD (command prompt).
- Once the Command prompt window has opened, type in ipconfig and press Enter on your keyboard.
- You should be able to find your PC’s IP address right beside the IPv4 address
- Step 7: Once you have typed in your PC’s IP address, close the game and relaunch it.
Note: If you want to sever the connection between Pip-boy app and your PC, you will have to follow the same procedure: toggle off Pip-boy App Enabled, close the game and relaunch it for the changes to take effect.
Give Network Some Thought
To connect your Fallout 4 Pip-Boy app to your system, connect both devices to the same network via WiFi. By doing so, you could get your mobile device to detect your PC in a blink of an eye while avoiding connection issues.
Make Exception For Pip-Boy App
- Step 1: Click on the Windows button and select Settings
- Step 2: Select Windows Security, navigate to Firewall & network protection and select it.
- Step 3: Click Allow an app through the firewall and select Change Settings.
- Step 4: Look for the Fallout 4 app from the available options and check the boxes beside it to enable it to pass through the firewall. Click Ok. If you can’t find Fallout 4 on the list of apps to enable, navigate to and click on Allow another app. Lastly, look for the Fallout 4 app, select it and proceed to enable its firewall access.
- Step 1: Click on the Windows button, select Settings and select Windows Security
- Step 2: Navigate to Virus & threat protection tab then select Protection history
- Step 3: Select the Fallout 4 app and click Yes in the prompt that appears.
- Step 4: Click Actions, pick Allow on device and hit Yes.
Tips and Tricks
- A great way to reduce radiation in Radroach and Molerat meat is by cooking it. Instead of eating the meat raw, you can take it to a nearby cooking station and cook it. You will have access to all the recipes so you will know what vegetables to search for.
- You should also know that raider NPCs will not steal a suit of power armor that doesn’t have a core in it. To prevent your power armor from being stolen by raiders, take out the core.
- Managing settlers in Fallout 4 can get tough, especially if you have a large number of settlers. Differentiating old settlers from new ones alone can be confusing. There is an easy way to differentiate settlers though: give settlers a piece of armor or clothing to set them apart from each other. That will allow you to single out new settlers at a glance for most of the time.
- When fighting Legendary foes in Fallout 4, cripple them first instead of trying to defeat them outright. Foes of the Legendary variant usually have a lot of HP and take a long time to defeat so it’s wise to remove a limb from the equation. For insurance, the loss of an arm can drastically minimize the amount of damage you receive during combat. Additionally, no matter how strong they are, Legendary foes won’t be able to hit you if they can’t move.
Chris started playing PC games in the 1980s, started writing about them in the early 2000s, and (finally) started getting paid to write about them in the late 2000s.
Following a few years as a regular freelancer, PC Gamer hired him in 2014, probably so he’d stop emailing them asking for more work. Since 2019, he started providing game reviews & tips for Grateful Dead Game. Chris has a love-hate relationship with survival games and an unhealthy fascination with the inner lives of NPCs. He’s also a fan of offbeat simulation games, mods, and ignoring storylines in RPGs so he can make up his own.