Overall, it’s up to the players to decide whether to use God Rays in Fallout 4 but complaints about Fallout 4 can’t turn off God Rays still appear at times. Considering the nature of Fallout 4, the community usually regards bugs to be the cause which is why the best solution is to save, exit and reload. If the issue persists, you could modify the .ini file, change the preset settings of graphics and adjust the shadow distance. Spare a bit of your time to check out this article and learn what must be done.
What Is Going On
It’s common knowledge that Fallout 4 suffers from many issues but if you notice God Rays not turning off, you should remember the following suspects:
What Must Be Done
Save, Exit And Reload
For your information, a lot of Fallout 4 bugs go away the moment you start a new session. Hence, about Fallout 4 can’t turn off God Rays, it’s strongly recommended that you save, exit and reload. For good measure, you should save in a new slot instead of overwriting the existing save. After you finish, close Fallout 4, open it and reload the recently created save.
Note: The game still prevents you from turning off God Rays? Then proceed to reload old saves one by one. If you manage to locate a save in which the game lets you turn off God Rays, use it to play.
Modify The .INI File
- Step 1: Go to the game folder (Documents\ My Games\ Fallout4) and open the file Fallout4.ini using a text editor.
- Step 2: Locate the line bNvGodraysEnable=1 and change the value from 1 to 0.
- Step 3: Save, close Fallout4.ini and open the file Fallout4Prefs.ini.
- Step 4: Locate the lines iVolumetricLightingQuality=1 and bVolumetricLightingEnable=1 then change both values to 0.
- Step 5: Save, close Fallout4Prefs.ini and launch Fallout 4.
Change The Preset Settings Of Graphics
- Step 1: Open Fallout 4 game launcher then hit Options.
- Step 2: Choose Low for the preset graphics settings and select Advanced.
- Step 4: Configure the graphics settings as you see fit but keep God Rays off.
Adjust The Shadow Distance
None of the above works? In that case, you have no choice but to leave God Rays alone and adjust other graphics options to recover FPS. For most of the time, it’s a good idea to adjust the shadow distance. Lower the shadow distance until the frame drop is no longer a big issue and play Fallout 4 like usual.
Additional Fallout 4-Related Questions
What is God Rays?
Also known as volumetric lightning, God Rays is used to add lighting effects to a rendered scene. If you turn on God Rays in Fallout 4, you should be able to see shining light beams in a couple of environments.
How could I run Fallout 4 at max settings?
To run Fallout 4 at max settings, you must make sure that your PC meets the requirements down below:
- Operating system: Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
- Processor: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6GHz / AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz or equivalent.
- Memory: 8 GB RAM.
- Hard disk space: 30 GB free HDD space.
- Video: NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB / AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB or equivalent.
Is Fallout 4’s FPS capped at 60?
Fallout 4 does not limit the FPS so frame rate depends on the monitor in most of the cases. That being said, regardless of how strong your PC is, it is wise to play Fallout 4 at 60 FPS.
Is Fallout 4 more demanding than Skyrim?
Although both games use the same engine, Creation Engine, Fallout 4 uses a more advanced version. That means Fallout 4 requires more resources to run smoothly. Also, Fallout 4 is less optimized than Skyrim so it strains computers more.
Does Fallout 4 support VSync and should I turn it on?
Yes, Fallout 4 includes VSync as a default graphics setting which cannot be changed in-game. If enabled, VSync improves the aesthetics of so it contributes to the gaming experience. Hence, in the case that you come across screen tearing, don’t hesitate to turn VSync on. However, enabling VSync might result in FPS drops, lags and so on.
Which game is bigger, Fallout 4 or Fallout 3?
Fallout 3 is bigger than Fallout 4 by around 16%. On a side note, Fallout 4 is the smallest among recent entries as New Vegas is bigger than Fallout 3 by 6%.
How come FPS keeps dropping while I play Fallout 4?
FPS in Fallout 4 could drop for many reasons such as VSync, Vibration, Controller, God Rays, Draw Distance, etc.
Is it possible to make Fallout 4 run smoother?
One of the first things you should do to increase the performance of Fallout 4 is to get the latest graphics card and its driver. Also, if you play with mods, disable them all. Last but not least, it won’t hurt to enable the borderless window mode.
Which mods should I use to make Fallout 4 look better?
If you care about appearance, you should add PipBoy Shadows to your list of mods. Honorable mentions include Aviator ReShade, Radiant Clouds and Fogs, Immersive First Person Settings, Enhanced Wasteland Preset, Vivid Waters, Vivid ENB and Vogue ENB – Realism.
How do I increase the brightness of Fallout 4?
Regarding the brightness, there is no way to change it directly. Thus, if you want to make Fallout 4 look brighter, change the monitor’s brightness.
Does Fallout 4 require an SSD?
In layman’s terms, SSD is not a requirement to run Fallout 4. Still, since Fallout 4 frequently loads elements as players move between areas, an SSD could save time and maintain the game’s flow.
Other Tips And Tricks
- Get into covers in firefights.
- Invest in the Ninja perk if you like to carry melee weapons and prefer to sneak around.
- Go for the legs of fast-moving enemies to cripple them.
- Always have an exit strategy up your sleeve.
- A combination of critical and stealth attacks lets you take down targets in a blink of an eye.