Table of Contents
Even though game developers release new action role-playing titles from time to time, not many could reach the success of Dark Souls. At the moment, Dark Souls is available on quite a few platforms, consoles as well as computers. However, it’s worth pointing out that all versions of Dark Souls have issues here and there. For those who play Dark Souls on PC, Dark Souls not launching Windows 10 is second to none in terms of annoyance.
What Causes Dark Souls Not Launching Windows 10
Dark Souls is in essence a program and all programs require resources to run. If you have third-party programs running as you launch Dark Souls, they could complicate the process.
Usually, Windows 10 computers could support a wide range of programs with relative ease. That being said, Dark Souls come in many versions and not all work well on Windows 10. Hence, once it comes to Dark Souls not launching Windows 10, you should take compatibility into account.
DirectX is an application programming interface (API) that manages tasks related to multimedia, especially gaming. Needless to say, if DirectX runs into issues, it’s only natural that games won’t launch.
Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package
Similar to DirectX, Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package plays a key role in the launching of games. If your PC lacks Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package or it isn’t included as part of installation, you would have a hard time playing games.
Another explanation for Dark Souls not launching Windows 10 issue is the obsolescence of graphics drivers. Unable to recall the last time you updated the graphics driver of your PC? Then you may want to take the driver into account.
Corrupted Or Missing Game Files
As mentioned above, Dark Souls is a program that contains a collection of files. If the game files work as expected, Dark Souls should run smoothly around the clock. On the other hand, if the game files become corrupted, go missing and so on, Dark Souls is going to act up.
Apply Changes To Compatibility Settings
If you notice Dark Souls not launching Windows 10 time and again, it’s wise to tweak the compatibility settings. Some versions of Dark Souls hit the market prior to the introduction of Windows 10 so you might have problems launching them on Windows 10 computers. By running Dark Souls in compatibility mode, you could avoid a lot of hassles.
- Step 1: Navigate to your Dark Souls desktop shortcut, right-click it and puck Open File Location.
- Step 2: Right-click on the Dark Souls executable file and select Properties from the list of options you see.
- Step 3: Go to the Compatibility tab, check the checkbox next to Run this program in compatibility mode for and choose an old Windows OS via the drop-down menu (Windows 8, Windows 7, etc).
Give DirectX Some thought
- Step 1: Open your web browser and go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35
- Step 2: Select your download and installation language and then click Download.
- Step 3: Go to My Computer, open your Downloads folder and then navigate to the file you just downloaded.
- Step 4: If the DirectX setup is in a “zip” or “rar” file format, extract it using 7-Zip or Winrar.
- Step 5: Launch the DirectX installer and follow the instructions given
If you have previously installed DirectX but your Dark Souls game still won’t launch, proceed to update it. To update DirectX, go through the steps below:
- Step 1: Press Win + I to open Settings.
- Step 2: Navigate to Update & Security and then select Windows Update.
- Step 3: Click Check For Updates. Windows will soon download and install pending updates. If your DirectX version is outdated, it will be updated as well.
Mods customize gaming experiences but it’s not uncommon for them to mess things up. Thus, for good measure, you should get rid of all Dark Souls mods if the game won’t launch. When you complete the removal, restart your computer, launch Dark Souls and see how things turn out.
Disable Game Overlay
If you use game streaming apps like Twitch or other apps that require screen overlay permission like Discord, they could get in the way of the launching of Dark Souls. That is why regarding Dark Souls not launching Windows 10, it won’t hurt to disable game overplay
Install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package
- Step 1: Launch Steam Client and log in to your account.
- Step 2: Go to Steam Library and navigate to Dark Souls.
- Step 3: Right-click it and select Properties.
- Step 4: Select the Local Files tab and then click Browse Local Files.
- Step 5: Open the REDIST folder. You’ll find two different installation files inside (vcredist_x64 and vcredist_x86). Select either one depending on the type of Windows installation your PC has running (64-bit or 32-bit).
- Step 6: Run the installation file and follow the instructions to install the program.
Update Graphics Driver
- Step 1: Go to Search bar, type Device Manager and hit Enter.
- Step 2: Navigate to Display Adapters, expand it and locate your graphics card.
- Step 3: Right-click your card, pick Update Driver and hit Search automatically for drivers. Allow the process to go all the way.
Verify Integrity Of Game Files
- Step 1: Launch Steam Client and log in to your account
- Step 2: Go to Steam Library and navigate to Dark Souls.
- Step 3: Right-click on it and select Properties.
- Step 4: Click the Local Files tab and select Verify Integrity of Game Files.
Steam will then proceed to check your Dark Souls game files for corrupted or missing files and carry out repair/replacement.
Chris started playing PC games in the 1980s, started writing about them in the early 2000s, and (finally) started getting paid to write about them in the late 2000s.
Following a few years as a regular freelancer, PC Gamer hired him in 2014, probably so he’d stop emailing them asking for more work. Since 2019, he started providing game reviews & tips for Grateful Dead Game. Chris has a love-hate relationship with survival games and an unhealthy fascination with the inner lives of NPCs. He’s also a fan of offbeat simulation games, mods, and ignoring storylines in RPGs so he can make up his own.